Real Food Traffic Light System
- Vegetables – ALL vegetables including root vegetables but go really easy on potatoes and sweet potatoes if you have high blood sugars.
- Fruit – Berry fruit.
- Meat, fish and eggs
- Dairy – Cheese, plain yogurt, full-fat milk
- Fats – Olive oil, Coconut oil, Lard, Ghee and Butter
- Nuts and seeds – All nuts except peanuts, cashew nuts and pistachios.
- Cupboard staples – Herbs and spices, tinned fish, coconut milk/cream, tinned tomatoes, bouillon powder
- Drinks – Water (still and sparkling), tea, herbal teas, coffee
- Dessert – Berries with cream, dark chocolate 85%
• Vegetables – Go easy with potatoes and sweet potatoes
• Fruit – Go easy with all fruit except berry fruit
• Processed meat – ham, bacon, sausages, cured meat (like salami)
• Nuts – Caution with cashew nuts, pistachios and peanuts.
• Cupboard staples – whole nut butters, tomato puree, tinned beans and pulses, dried beans and pulses, quinoa, whole porridge oats Avoid instant oats.
• Drinks – dry spirits, red wine, dry white wine, extra dry prosecco.
• Desserts – occasional low carb desserts. For low carb puddings, you can use natural sweeteners like Erythritol, Xylitol and Stevia.
Red means best avoided.
- Dairy – low fat cheese, low fat yogurt
- Fruit – bananas, grapes, mangoes, dried fruit
- Fats – all vegetable/seed oils
- Starchy processed foods – rice (including brown rice), pasta (including wholemeal pasta), bread (including wholemeal and granary bread), ALL cereals including Weetabix, noodles, pancakes, breadcrumbs, rice cakes, croutons, crisp breads (like Ryvita).
- Really bad food – biscuits, breakfast/snack bars, crisps, cake, milk chocolate, sweets, ice-cream, pizza, breaded meat and fish, fast food (burgers and fries, fried chicken, frozen chips).
- Sauces and condiments – all ready-made sauces and condiments
- Drinks – Beer, cider, squash (including diet or sugar-free squash), soda (including diet soda), flavoured water, energy drinks, cocktails, smoothies.
- Artificial sweeteners (chemicals)– Aspartame, Acesulfame, Sucralose, Neotame, Saccharin.